Chutney Recipe for Christmas
CHRISTMAS CHUTNEY RECIPE
This Christmas Chutney Recipe is one that Ross, the business founder, has been perfecting over the last few Christmases. It’s full of delicious flavours that can be used as a sauce for the Christmas meat or even as a dip for all that leftover Christmas food. This recipe is for those serious foodie lovers who are willing to prepare the chutney, a couple of months in advance of Christmas.
The chutney takes about 30 minutes to prepare, 1-1.5 hours to cook, and then you just leave for 2 months to mature. This recipe is for about 16 jars, so perfect for giving as little gifts to your friends and family. If you would prefer less, then just half the recipe.
You can also download the recipe by clicking below.
View & Print Christmas Chutney recipe
- 800g onions (peeled & sliced)
- 500g cooking apples (peeled, cored & roughly chopped)
- 1.5kg eating apples (peeled, cored & roughly chopped)
- 300g sultanas
- 300g dried figs (roughly chopped)
- 300g soft brown sugar
- 8ooml apple cider vinegar
- 250ml medium dry cider
- 125ml port
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 3 large pinches salt
- 3 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tsp allspice
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- zest & juice of an orange
- olive oil
- Sealable jars
- Chopping board
- Heat a large pan to medium, add the oil and apples. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until they soften and start to colour.
- Add the salt and spices, stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the figs, sultanas and sugar. Stir, then add the vinegar, orange, cider & port.
- Give a good stir again, bring it to the boil then reduce the heat to a slow simmer.
- Stir from time to time to ensure it doesn’t catch. It should be ready when the mixture is reduced to a chutney consistency (about 1 hour).
- Pop your jars and lids in a hot oven for 10 mins. Remove (carefully) then ladle hot chutney into the jars. Seal with the lids.
- Label and store in a cool, dark place for two months.
- Voila Christmas chutney!
Let us know how you get on, by sharing our creating and tagging us @rossandrossgifts